The Roman name for the Isle of Wight was Vectis Insula, and the Island was home to many examples of Roman architecture including at least seven villas, two of which are preserved for visitors today, and a third has been catalogued and re-buried for eventual excavation.
The Romans occupied the Isle of Wight for nearly 400 years, and the Island was an agricultural centre.
A beautifully preserved series of artefacts including some impressive mosaics set in an award winning visitor centre and museum.More Details
Accidentally discovered in the 1920s when a homeowner decided to erect a garage, this Roman farmhouse from around 280CE now has many of its artefacts beautifully preserved including an extensive hypocaust system.More Details
Buried in what is now Robin Hill Country Park, Combley Roman Villa is marked out on a field and an interpretation barn displays artefacts and additional information about the villa which was excavated in 1910 and then reburied to preserve it.More Details